(Other than water or fruit juice)
Do NOT Drink Sweetened drinks - E.g. Coco-cola®, Pepsi®, Nestle iced tea®, Schweppes®ginger ale.
– Sugar sweetened drinks contain an average of 10 teaspoons of sugar in a 12oz. can - usually high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), a cheap substitute for sugar, which is causing major health problems by increasing fructose intake.
Shun artificial sweeteners – shown to have serious health consequences:
"Sickly Sweet" –“Sweeteners to Avoid”
If you must have an artificial sweetener, then saccharin is the best choice - since Saccharin does not completely digest in the human body and itsby-products are therefore less harmful than aspartame or sucralose. However, prefer natural sweeteners in moderation
Coffee, tea, chocolate, beer and wine have a diuretic effect – meaning they dehydrate the body. To compensate, drink 2 glasses of water for each diuretic drink .
– Drink a total of no more than 2-3 drinks per day
– Caffeine has a stimulatory effect - primarily credited to its inhibition of the chemical adenosine in the CNS by binding to adenosine receptors. A reduction in adenosine activity leads to increased release of the neurotransmitter stress hormones DOPAMINE and ADRENALINE, which increase alertness and motivation.
Tea - Green, Black, Herbal (Hibiscus, Tulsi), Matcha (excellent source of antioxidant EGCG)
– Hibiscus Tea -
For thousands of years, Egyptians have drunk this
red tea made from the hibiscus calyces as an enjoyable
beverage. Hibiscus teas were traditionally used to keep cool, to promote cardiac
and nervous system health, as an aid for occasional nervous restlessness
/difficulty sleeping (in
The tea is made from the hibiscus flower of which there are over 200 species. The hibiscus plant itself is a shrubby tropical plant that produces flowers with reddish-purple centers. After the petals fall from the flower/u>, the remaining deep red calyces (cup-like structures formed by the sepals) grow into seed-containing pods that resemble flower buds. It's these red calyces that are used to make hibiscus tea
Hot Chocolate (usually contains MSG)
– Beer - prefer higher antioxidant dark ales, stout
– Wine – fermentation process significantly multiplies antioxidant levels, alcohol helps their absorption. Contrary to popular belief, both red and white wines have equal antioxidant effectiveness, reaching a plateau after about 2 glasses (white wine contains less, but smaller more easily absorbed antioxidants.
Troup et al, Free Radical scavenging abilities of beverages