EFAs are not called essential for nothing!
Since our bodies can not make these vital polyunsaturated essential fatty acids, we must obtain them from our diet or via supplements. EFAs are typically founds in nuts, seeds, vegetable and marine oils. They have a physical form (somewhat like a curled caterpillar) that allows them to be used for specific functions, such as keeping cell membranes fluid and attracting electrons (energy) to them (because of the double carbon bonds at the bends). This model of Omega-3 EPA shows how its body is bent in different directions (because of its 5 double carbon bonds). In contrast, saturated fatty acids have straight bodies that can compact together.
ENSURING SUFFICIENT OMEGA-3 IN YOUR BODY Is A BIG DEAL!
Tending to the typical Western dietary deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids has the potential to prevent many of today's diseases and also help in their healing. Omega-3 fatty acids counter predominantly inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids
Human body fat is largely made up of saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids. We contain very little polyunsaturated fat. At the beginning of the 20th century, dietary fatty acids were mainly saturated or monounsaturated, primarily from butter, lard (pig fat), tallow (beef and mutton fat), coconut oil and olive oil.
Omega-3 fat family. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexenoic Acid (DHA) (directly available in marine oil, or converted by enzymes in the body from Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) in such as walnuts or flax, hemp or chia seed oils)
Omega-6 fat family. Dihomo Gamma-Linolenic Acid (DGLA) (directly available in breast milk, or converted by enzymes in the body from Gamma-linolenic Acid (GLA) in evening primrose, borage or blackcurrant seed oils, or Linoleic Acid (LA) in nuts, seeds and vegetable oils) See "EFA Conversion Chart" to better understand how the body converts dietary EFA's from one to another and how having an imbalance of Omega-6 fats compared to Omega-3 fats affects the EFAs produced:
Rather than list all that EFAs do, it may have been easier to mention what they don't do! However, to give an idea, here's just a few of the many functions of EFAs . . .
• Keep cells slippery so they don't stick together (i.e. clot)
• Control inflammation
• Activate bile flow for fat digestion
• Raw materials for estrogen, Testosterone, other hormones
• Precursor for mood hormone serotonin
• Carry fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) in bloodstream
• Slow carbohydrate absorption (balancing blood sugar levels)
• Keep cell walls fluid (controls traffic in and out of cells)
“Research says if you increase omega-3's in the diet, you improve every major degenerative condition of our time.”
- Udo Erasmus PhD (who wrote the book on fats: “Fats that heal, Fats that kill”)
• Lowers cardiovascular risk factors
• Inhibits cancer growth and metastasis
• Increases INSULIN sensitivity
• Decreases inflammation/joint pain
• Improves bone mineral metabolism
• Raises energy levels, stamina performance
• Improves concentration, learning, calmness, behavior and IQ
• Speeds wound healing from injury, physical exertion, surgery
• Dampens symptoms of auto-immune diseases
• Aids weight management - Increases fat burn-off as heat (thermogenesis), decrease fat production
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|