Dubbed "Molecule of the Year" by Science magazine in 1992
Nitric oxide (NO) is NOT the same as nitrous oxide (N2O, better known as laughing gas)
What is NO?
1 nitrogen atom + 1 oxygen atom
Soluble, highly reactive, short-lived gas
NO production pathways
Produced in certain animal and plant cells from the amino acid L-arginine
Can be derived from nitroglycerine. Well known as a major component of dynamite, but also prescribed in the medical field, E.g. as a nitroglycerine patch. Ironically, Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Prize,invented dynamite, but did not follow his doctor's advice to take a compound that signals nitric oxide release for his heart health. It wasn't until ~ 100 years later it was more fully realized how such products act by releasing nitric oxide gas as a signal molecule.
A byproduct of combustion. Also a product of natural chemical reactions in the atmosphere.
NO has many roles
NO operates as a signaling molecule (neurotransmitter) in brain and immune system. NO signaling efficiency declines with age.
NO enhances blood flow and helps maintain optimal blood pressure
- The 1998 Nobel Prize winners (Furchgott, Murid, and Ignarro) discovered how endothelial cells produce NO gas to help blood vessels stay relaxed and open for blood flow. These cells lining the blood vessels require the semi-essential amino acid arginine as a precursor for producing NO
• Improves all physiological processes by improving both nutrient delivery to cells and cellular waste removal
• NO also helps promote healthy blood vessel flexibility and dilation. As a cellular signaling molecule
• Sufficient NO reduces risk for coronary artery disease (CAD). Helps keep arteries stay more plaque-free
• Good blood flow important in maintaining an erection
Culotta E & Koshland D Jr. (1992) NO news is good news. Science 258 (5090): 1862-1864 Link
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|