(1) Cook food QUICKLY and (2) Don't use too much heat.
AVOID: Pressure cooking/roasting (>~400°F) / high temperature frying/grilling - Cooking methods more likely to reach the decomposition temperatures of vitamins)
PREFER: Steaming/Sauteeing/ Waterless Cooking THEN Boiling/ Baking (<~400°F).
Steam Cooking - best way to conserve nutrients, color and taste
• Faster than other methods - Decreased water contact with food surface decreases nutrient loss;
• Distribute cut up vegetables loosely in the steamer to allow vapor to circulate.
• Place vegetables that need less steaming on the top layer, those that need longer steaming on the bottom - Alternatively, add vegetables needing less steaming later on, after the coarser, denser veggies have partly cooked.
Sauteeing / Stir-frying. Cut up vegetables small enough to cook quickly; use minimal fat;
Water-less Cooking. Rinsed leafy vegetables E.g. spinach, cabbage will have enough water clinging to them to be cooked at low-heat in a covered pot/pan without additional water.
- Use minimal water to prevent water-soluble vitamins (E.g. B, C) and minerals leaching into cooking water. Water-soluble vitamins are contained in watery part of fruits and vegetables and easily leaches into cooking water (along with minerals); Soups, stews and casseroles retain vitamin C. Broccoli is relatively leach resistant.
Combs GF, The Vitamins, Fundamental Aspects in Nutrition and Health, 2001
- Add the vegetables AFTER the water has boiled. The high temperature helps to inactivate enzymes that would otherwise destroy the vitamin C.
- Keep lid on pan
• To speed cooking
• Protects light-sensitive nutrients: vitamin C, folacin, Riboflavin (B2), Pyridoxine (B6), B12
Attend to Diet, Lifestyle and Emotional State
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|