Beneficial flora / probiotics have at least 30 known pharmacological actions
Anti-infective. Antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal
Immune system-supportive. Upregulates glutathione (GPX) and certain glycoproteins that help regulate immune responses, including IL-4 (Interleukin-4), IL-10, IL-12; more than 60% of your I.S. is in your gut.
Anti-proliferative. Apoptopic (promotes natural self-destruction of cells); Inhibits tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha inhibitor, NF-kappaB, epidermal growth factor receptor, +++
Protective. Antioxidant, cardioprotective, gastroprotective, radio- and chemo-protective
Anti-depressive. The vagus nerve (10th cranial nerve) connects your gut to your brain, each affecting the other, explaining the link between neurological disorders and GI dysfunction (E.g. ADHD, autism). Intestinal health has been found to profoundly influence mental health.
Detoxifying. probiotics appear to have a role in detoxing harmful chemicals.
How do beneficial flora /probiotics work against pathogens?
Antagonistic / Competitive towards pathogenic bacteria
- Probiotics help normalize acid/alkali balance in the intestine -“Friendly”bacteria decrease colonization of pathogenic organisms in the gut by secreting acids that are toxic to local pathogenic bacteria -by liberating hydrogen peroxide and organic acids (E.g. Lactic, butyric and acetic acids) in the intestines, the local luminal pH is shifted downward to create an unfavorable environment for growth of pathogenic flora
Williams NT. Probiotics. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2010;67:449-458.
Alvarez-Olmos MI, Oberhelman RA. Probiotic agents and infectious diseases: a modern perspective on a traditional therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:1567-1576.
- Compete with pathogens for adhesion sites on intestinal wall (epithelium)
Macintyre A, Cymet TC. Probiotics: the benefits of bacterial cultures. Compr Ther. 2005;31:181-185.
- Compete with pathogens for nutrients
- Produce bacteriocins (protein toxins) to inhibit pathogens
- Modify pathogen-derived toxins
Stimulate immune mechanisms of intestinal mucosa
- Increase cytokine activity
- Increase lymphocyte activity / intestinal macrophage phagocytosis - by causing local macrophages to increase antigen presentation to B-lymphocytes and increase secretory antibody immunoglobulin A (IgA) production both locally and systemically;
- Reduce immune system reaction to food antigens
- Help stimulate the production of the protective mucus layer lining the GI tract - they can also line the mucus layer to add an extra level of defense keeping out pathogenic bacteria
Produce beneficial metabolic enzymes
• Digest undigested polysaccarides/mucin/fiber - E.g. starch, glycogen, cellulose and chitin.
• Produce the enzyme lactase which breaks down lactose - thereby benefiting those who are lactose-intolerant;
Induce synthesis of B vitamins. B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B12, also folic acid and biotin;
Improve uptake and absorption of calcium
Help reduce cholesterol
• Regulating levels of an enzyme that is involved in production of cholesterol within body
• Acting directly on cholesterol in the GI tract
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|