What is Hypothyroidism?
Present in Cretinism, Hashimoto's thyroiditis;
Severely stunted physical growth and mental retardation due to untreated thyroid hormone deficiency (congenital hypothyroidism) in babies or children born to women lackingiodine.
– Sufficiency of maternaliodineprevents cretinism
– Babies with congenital hypothyroidism can be treated at birth with supplemental iodine.
Pituitary TSH levels rise. This is due to the negative feedback effect of low T3 and T4 thyroid hormones;
What Causes Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism occurs as a consequence of several possibilities:
– Insufficient iodine for thyroid hormone production. Most common worldwide cause;
– Thyroiditis. Inflammation of thyroid cells resulting from a source of damage to thyroid tissue;
✔ Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Most common problem causing hypothyroidism in N. America.
✔ Other forms of thyroiditis having hypothyroid phases:
•Postpartum (second phase);
– Inborn errors of thyroid hormone synthesis. Causes congenital hypothyroidism;
– Pituitary tumors (very rare). Cause low TSH levels and thereby reduce the production of T3 and T4. This is called secondary hypothyroidism.
|Symptoms of Hypothyroidism|
|✔ Feeling constantly fatigued||✔ Aching muscles / Vague aches and pains|
|✔ Cold hands and feet||✔ Weight gain without eating more|
|✔ Coarse, dry, thinning hair||✔ PMS /Heavy menstrual periods / menstrual cramps|
|✔ Dry skin||✔ Forgetfulness|
|✔ Slow heartbeat||✔ Loss of libido|
|✔ Mental sluggishness/”Fuzzy headed”||✔ Constipation|
|✔ Depression||✔ Pain in thyroid gland (at front of neck)|
|✔ Low basal temperature||✔ Infertility /anovulatory cycles / repeated miscarriage|
|✔ Slowed knee-jerk reflexes|
With hypothyroidism, the ability to convert tyrosine to DOPAMINE, NOREPINEPHRINE and EPINEPHRINE is impaired. This can cause a ripple effect of symptoms, including cognitive dysfunction.
Hypothyroidism can be mistaken for an hormonal imbalance related to an excess of estrogen