Unfortunately, standard HTST and UHT pasteurization destroys enzymes, denatures proteins, kills beneficial bacteria, reduces some vitamins (viz: B2, B12, C and E) and inactivates immune factors that naturally protect the milk from spoilage
Nutrients destroyed or significantly reduced in standard HTST pasteurization
Food for thought . . . a calf cannot thrive on just pasteurized cow's milk
- Immune factors inherently present in the milk - an important loss that is often overlooked; e.g. pasteurization reduces SIgA, an immunoglobulin that naturally binds potentially inflammatory lectins;
Biol Neonate 1991;59(3):121-5 Davin JC et al The high lectin-binding capacity of human secretory IgA protects nonspecifically mucosae against environmental antigens.
1. Scientific American,December 1995. 2. The Lancet, 17 Nov 1984; 2(8412):1111-1113
- Beneficial enzymes - needed to digest milk ingredients, such as phosphatase to metabolize calcium, lipase to digest and utilize butterfat,and lactase to break down lactose (milk sugar). Many people with a lactose intolerance, do not have this problem drinking raw milk. An extra stress is put on the pancreas in an attempt to replace the destroyed digestive enzymes. With insufficient enzymes, weak or incomplete digestion results, which can manifest itself in various degenerative diseases seen today;
- Proteins - Pasteurization denatures milk's fragile amino acids, making lysine and tyrosine less available; destroys amino acid precursors for body's "in-house" production of glutathione -the primary antioxidant inside all cells;
- Good Bacteria - thereby promoting the growth of pathogens - not all bacteria are bad, some such as lactobacillus and acidophilus, will actually fight off any bad bacteria present in the milk, and promote healthy bacteria in your intestine. Pasteurization kills both good and bad bacteria.
- Vitamins - the following chart shows that the vitamin loss due to pasteurization is not that significant
Other studies find different results - here's just a few:
• Vitamin C - a loss of ~19% vitamin C was found when milk was pasteurized for 30 mins @ 55°F;
However, ". . .The pasteurization of milk has been found to destroy 20-50% (of the vitamin C ), the fraction that has undergone irreversible oxidation) . . ."
WA. Bastedo, Materia, medica, Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Prescription Writing, Fourth edition, Reset, Page 78, WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia1938
Children develop scurvy after only 6 months of drinking pasteurized milk, if not supplemented with vitamin C.
AFHess, Infantile Scurvy, V.A. study of its Pathogenesis, Am J. Dis. Child, Nov. 1917
• Loss of B-Complex vitamins: B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12 (cobalamin), folic acid, pantothenic acid, and biotin.
Holmes AD et al, “A study of breed and seasonal variations. . .”, 1939
Synthetic Vitamin D is added to milk - as synthesized vitamin D2 (Toxic to the liver) or D3 (Preferred form produced in sun-exposed skin of humans and most non-feathered or non-furry animals) to supplement low levels, consequential to indoor farming methods.
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|