Man-Made EMFs occur in the transmission of information and electrical power in many industrial processes, electronic equipment and domestic appliances.
Man-made electromagnetic fields are generally divided into two groups according to their frequency level:
Extra low frequency (ELF)
Extremely-Low Frequency (ELF) Range. According to generally accepted usage, the ELF region is from ~3 Hz to 300 Hz.
Extra Low Frequency (ELF) EMFs are produced by alternating current flowing in power grids
• 50Hz in Europe
• 60Hz. In the U.S.
- ELF fields are thus produced by power lines, electrical wiring, and electrical equipment. E.g.high power transmission lines, transformers, computers, monitors, fluorescent lights, televisions, hair dryers, and digital alarm clocks.
Many pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy devices also use ELF frequencies. Whether they are beneficial or not depends on the actual frequency being utilized. Some ELF frequencies are naturally used by our body to maintain health. E.g. the brain operates on different ELF ranges throughout the day called alpha, beta, alpha, theta and delta waves.
EMF penetration of earth and oceans increases as frequency decreases. At 5MHz the penetration is about 0.12 m. However, at 5Hz, the penetration is 112m. Thus, ELF/ULF EMF waves (5-50Hz) penetrate deep into the earth and oceans, and are used for submarine communications (U.S. 77 Hz, Russia 83 Hz).
ELFs are not necessarily harmless and may be “Wolves in Sheep's Clothing”. Since these widespread EMF frequencies are so low and do not demonstrate any dramatic thermal or ionizing effects (as produced by nuclear devices), there has been a commonly held fallacy that they must therefore be harmless, however:
- ELFs do induce weak, but significant, electric currents in conducting objects, including people and animals.
- Certain frequency bands between 15 - 60 Hz have been found to promote cancers. Frequencies in this range have been found to alter cell protein synthesis, mRNA functions, immune responses and intercellular communication [Adey, 1992].
- Electropollution may cause us to feel more stressed, fatigued and “out of balance”. More than a thousand scientific papers are published each year, defining the effects of our abnormal electromagnetic environment. Epidemiological and laboratory studies indicate that any abnormal frequencies produce increased health risks.
kHz, MHz and GHz frequencies
• Two-way radios, AM and FM Radio
• Microwave Oven (typically ~2.5 GHz)
• Digital TV Broadcasts;
• Wireless heart-rate monitors
• Mobile phones. Also when on but not in use;
• TV broadcasts
• Aviation communications
• High-speed satellite microwave transmission
• Cell towers. Always radiatingalways radiating
• Wireless LAN;
• Wi-Fi “wireless Internet” antennas. Always on and radiating;
• Cordless phones and their base units. Even when phone not in use;
• Any communication device not attached to the wall by a wire.
Wifi and cellular networks
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|