An imbalance of estrogen over PROGESTERONE in women (or TESTOSTERONE in men) is having an overall estrogenic effect. The most well-known repercussion of this is to cause overproliferation of cells resulting in reproductive organ cancers (e.g. breast, endometrial, ovarian and prostate), and issues, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, uterine fibroids, fibrocystic changes in the breast and benign prostate hyperplasia.
The term “Estrogen Dominance” was coined by Dr. John R. Lee. An author, expert and pioneer in the study and use of PROGESTERONE and androgen supplementation to restore hormonal balance.
Estrogen dominance encompasses several unpleasant symptoms and health problems including:
• Anxiety, mood swings, confusion, depression, irritability;
• Fluid Retention;
• Breast Tenderness, fibrocystic breast changes (FCC), endometriosis, ovarian cysts,
• Benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH);
• Weight Gain
• Reproductive organ cancers (e.g. breast, ovarian, endometrial, prostate);
• Heart disease, pulmonary embolism;
For a more extensive list:
What is causing estrogen dominance?
- Estrogen dominance can be caused either by excessive intake or production of estrogen or insufficient intake or production of other hormones, such as TESTOSTERONE and PROGESTERONE. It is important to grasp the concept that it is not so much the actual levels of hormones in the body, so much as their levels relative to other hormones present.
- Estrogen dominance is commonly seen in women as they progress through menopause and beyond. Since PROGESTERONE levels drop more drastically than estrogen levels, creating a relative imbalance favoring estrogen. Also, a vicious cycle presents, whereby estrogen dominance promotes fat storage, and fat cells produce more estrogen.
- In aging men, estrogen levels increase as TESTOSTERONE and PROGESTERONE levels decrease. This occurs because TESTOSTERONE levels generally decline with age, and because the often increasing number of fat cells convert TESTOSTERONE to estrogen. Also weak testes produce less PROGESTERONE
- Without ovulation, there is no ovarian corpus luteum to produce PROGESTERONE , and a PROGESTERONE deficiency ensues. Any estrogen present remains unopposed, yielding several unwantedside effects. Unfortunately, maladies such as water retention, weight gain, fatigue and depression are sometimes diagnosed as separate problems and treated individually, when actually, they are symptoms of a person with too much estrogen relative to other hormones. Today, research is showing that many women in their 30s and even younger are sometimes not ovulating during their menstrual cycle. Lee, 1993
Those of us living in the developed world are “bathed in a continuous sea” of estrogen and are likely facing hormonal imbalances resulting in estrogen dominance. A few of the reasons why estrogen dominance is becoming so commonplace in both women and men are listed below, but for more detailed information:
For guidance in restoring the body's normal healthy hormonal balance:
Interview with Dr. Lee http://www.keepsmilin.com/transcriptdrlee.htm
Lee, John R., M.D. (1993) Natural PROGESTERONE : The Multiple Role of a Remarkable Hormone, BLL Publishing, California, USA p.29.1
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|