Most oral glutathione supplements have been shown to be poorly absorbed
Ironically, they may interfere with your body's own ability to produce glutathione in the long-term;
Consuming foods containing cysteine and/or methionine increases body's glutathione levels
• Highest levels in RAW milk products, RAW eggs, and UNDERCOOKED meat. Less in PASTEURIZED dairy products.
• Also found in smaller quantities in UNCOOKED, fresh fruits and vegetables. Highest sources of precursor amino acids are spinach, potatoes, asparagus, avocado, squash, okra, cauliflower, broccoli, walnuts, garlic, and tomatoes;
• Cooking destroys some bioacitivity of cysteine - In food, cysteine is bound into protein molecules by amide (peptide) bonds. High temperatures during cooking can break down these bonds and destroy bioactivity of cysteine, but, to a large extent,cysteine does survive cooking.
Giovanelli J (1987) "Sulfur amino acids of plants: an overview." In: "Sulfur and Sulfur Amino Acids," Methods in Enzymology, vol. 143; eds. Jakoby W, Griffith O; Academic Press, Orlando, Florida; pp. 419-426.
Clemente A, Sanchez-Vioque R, Vioque J, Bautista J, Millan F (1998) "Effect of cooking on protein quality of chickpea (Cicer arietinum) seeds." Food Chemistry, vol. 62, pp. 1-6.
Chau C-F, Cheung P C-K, Wong Y-S (1997) "Effects of cooking on content of amino acids and antinutrients in three Chinese indigenous legume seeds." Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 75, pp. 447-452.
Methionine is found in: meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, quinoa, buckwheat, sesame seeds, brazil nuts, and to a lesser degree dry spirulina.
Best Sources/methods for High Glutathione Levels
Consume sulfur-rich foods. E.g. animal foods and eggs, garlic, onions and the cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, watercress, etc.).
Sulfur - Healing Mineral
BEST SUPPLEMENT - RAW COW'S MILK WHEY POWDER. Provides cystine (two bonded cysteine molecules), glycine and glutamate for glutathione production.
• Raw milk whey contains 3 highly bioactive proteins containing large amounts of cystine:
• Lactoferrin and Lactalbumin -immunoglobulins, critical to creating the right metabolic environment for high glutathione activity;
• Serum albumin - rarely in other foods, whey contains a unique cysteine residue (glutamylcysteine) that naturally occurs in bovine serum albumin. This fragile immune component of whey is highly bioactive in its affinity for converting to glutathione.
“Breast is Best”
Human breast milk contains large amounts of lactoferrin, serum albumin and alpha lactalbumin, as well as other immunoglobulins. So it is loaded with bonded cysteine. This is one of the reasons why mother's milk is such a strong immune system builder for a baby, and why it is very important for a mother to breastfeed her child. Baby formula will NOT supply bonded cysteine for building glutathione.
• The cysteine in whey is in the form of cystine, which can enter cells. Each cysteine molecule is bonded with another cysteine molecule by a disulfide bond or bridge -to make a paired unit, called cystine (pronounced /sis-'ta-yn/). Cystine can easily enter cells where it breaks down back into two cysteine molecules and participates in the formation of glutathione.
These disulfide bonds are very fragile and easily denatured by heat and mechanical stress - bonds are damaged by pasteurization of milk and mechanical stress during centrifuging.
• For beneficial cysteine, whey protein should be:
• Cold-pressed from non-pasteurized milk, containing non-denatured proteins
• Derived from grass-fed cows
• Free of hormones, chemicals and artificial sugar;
Quality whey protein sold at www.mercola.com.
Immunocal is a prescription bioactive non-denatured whey protein (expensive)
Ensure sufficiency of selenium in diet (~200 mcg/day). Body's “in-house” production /recycling of glutathione requires this trace mineral. Excellent sources (best from food rather than supplement):
• 2-3 organic brazil nuts (100mcg)
• 4oz cod or halibut (53 mcg) / 4oz tuna (53 mcg) / 3.2 oz sardines (48 mcg) / 4 oz salmon (43 mcg)
• 4 oz turkey (36 mcg), 4 oz beef, chicken or lamb (31-37 mcg)
• 1 cup barley (36 mcg);
• 5oz Crimini mushrooms (23 mcg)
Ensure B6, B12 and folate for crucial methylation and transulfuration pathways in production of glutathione. These B-vitamins support SAMe, and other methyl donors, which donate a methyl group (CH3) to another molecule to make it bio-active; SAMe is also the precursor for synthesis of cysteine and glutathione in the transulfuration pathway. Take supplements in their active forms: Folate ( 5-MTHF), B6 (P5P), B12 (methylcobalamin).
SAMe - And other Methyl Donors
Exercise boosts body's glutathione levels. 30 minutes/day of aerobic exercise, as in a brisk walk
Magnesium is required for glutathione synthesis.Magnesium deficiency often results in low serum glutathione levels.
Other antioxidants work together to recycle glutathione. Including vitamins E (take 400IU mixed tocopherol supplement) and vitamin C
MELATONIN increases glutathione production. This hormone is produced when you get a good night's sleep in total darkness
Herb milk thistle. An excellent source of the antioxidant compound silymarin, which may help prevent glutathione depletion in your liver. Glutathione is crucial in the liver for detoxification and can become depleted by alcohol consumption and general toxic overload.
Polyphenols. ellagic acid (highest in raw blackberries and black raspberries, raw chestnuts, pomegranite juice and walnuts) and quercetin recycle glutathione
Curcumin. Increases liver cell's (hepatocytes) production of glutathione.
Alpha Lipoic Acid. Operates as an antioxidant in both its oxidized and reduced states, and has been shown to enhance glutathione levels.
Glutathione can be introduced into the lungs and bronchial area via a nebulizer. According to a study in Alternative Medicine Review in 2000, nebulized glutathione has had remarkable success in emphysema and other lung disorders such as asthma and bronchitis; it can also be used for colds and sinus problems.
N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is NOT recommended
This oral cystine supplement is sometimes taken as a precursor for cysteine and glutathione, however, clinical studies are controversial:
• Some studies demonstrate that NAC supplementation by itself is NOT effective in increasing cysteine levels within the cell.
• NAC-induced increases in glutathione levels did occur when NAC administered in dangerously high dosages.
LEONORE A. HERZENBERG e3t al, Glutathione deficiency is associated with impaired survival in HIV disease (,March 1997) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 94, pp. 1967-1972 Link
• High NAC supplementation can deplete zinc, copper and some trace minerals
• NAC use has been associated with some serious side effects
Chronic low-level inflammation (CLII) involved in almost all health problems
"The medical kit of the future"
General electrotherapy health benefits. Used systemically and/or locally at specific problem areas of the body, its effective application has many benefits:
|Detoxification||Wellness / Healthy aging||Pain relief|
|Relief from insomnia||Immune system restoral||Anti-Inflammatory|
|Maximizes cellular energy production||Accelerated tissue /bone
|Muscle relaxation / rehabilitation||Increased blood oxygen
There are several reasonably affordable electrotherapy devices available for personal use. The following electrotherapies are those that have received a significant amount of positive feedback:
|Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy|
|Near Infrared (NIR) class 4 laser therapy|
Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) applies specific frequency patterns to the head area, with the following benefits:
|Balances neurotransmitters||Relieves pain||Treats depression|
|Substance abuse withdrawal||Relieves insomnia||Relieve stress / anxiety|